Friday, April 23, 2010
Chad got busy on the Interwebs and found the appropriate guitar graphic and enlarged it so that we would have a scale template to work from.
I carved the cake but I was initially stumped on how to handle the neck of the guitar without building an elaborate stand. We finally decided to use black modeling chocolate to "hide" all of the cake that wasn't part of the neck. You can see it in the picture below, I thought it made for a very realistic effect.
The couple were very against fondant, so only the top of the cake is fondant. I airbrushed the buttercream sides with browns and blacks to give that dark wood-tone look. I made the strings by extruding fondant through my clay gun, but I wasn't totally happy with how they turned out. Next time, they would either be smaller, or I would maybe try to use floral wire or some other medium.
Well, there's more cakes to do that will have to be it for this time! Check back on Tuesday to see what new cake adventures we have been up to!