Tuesday, October 19, 2010
It was one of those cakes that would have been pretty if I stopped at the first stage, which was the trees. It would have been prettier if I stopped at the next stage which was the curly vines. That was by far the most time consuming. Getting the little chocolate fondant snakes thin enough while staying even. I still don't know why I didn't get my clay gun out?! The one thing that made life easier was that after stacking I put the cake in the cooler for several hours while I worked on other projects. When I brought it out the condensation made it just the right amount of sticky! The trees and vines stuck on perfectly. It was a shame when it dried up and I had to go back to attaching with water or piping gel. I had it good for a while!
Back to the cake, I then added the leaves and it was prettier....and I could have stopped...but no! The "Save the date" cards had Autumn colored dots so I added a few. That is what made the cake for me! Pop pop pop...dot dot dot! I used the little circle cutter from Polymer Clay Express. These will be worth every cent! I love that site! The impression mats are good, not to mention the extruder guns. I liked everything about the cake except for the delivery which was 90 minutes one way and the last 2 1/2 miles was all on a gravel road that was not at all cake friendly! It was called Laurelwood and it was a beautiful location once we got there!